Ok, as promised, I have started a page with all the great “finds” we have come across in the 3 years since my wife moved over here. When she came over, she had a pretty limited and unbalanced vegetarian diet. As I always want the very best for her, I started scouring the internet for vegetarian products so we could balance her diet (and mine, because I always ate vegetarian at home when she prepared food, which was most of the meals). So, without further rambling, here you go:
Vegetarian/Vegan products at the grocery stores
- Cornatur – Available at Migros. However, most are not vegan friendly as several have eggs in it.
- Delicorn – Available at Coop. Check the ingredients to see if they are vegan or just vegetarian.
- Asian Mock Meats – The link is just to the picture so you know what to look for. You can find this in most Asian food stores (I buy mine at Alimentation Asiatique Thao, mentioned below). There are other mock meat alternatives, but find the ones in the blue can the best.
Asian Grocery Stores – Always a great place to find tofu, but also vegan meat alternatives
- Alimentation Asiatique Thao – Ave des Jordils 4, 1006 Lausanne
- Tan Tan – Rue du Simplon 47, 1006 Lausanne
- Uchitomi (Japanese store) – Ruelle Grand-Saint-Jean 5, 1003 Lausanne
- Fleurs d’Asie Pham Sàrl – avenue d’Epenex 1C, 1022 Chavannes-près-Renens
- Iherb.com – US based, but ships to Switzerland on the cheap! Trick is to use their “Global Priority Mail by DHL” option. You can only order up to 4lbs (1.8 kilos) with this option but it’s cheap, and I’ve never been taxed on this option. You can find so much stuff here. I’ve bought wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, rice, beans, protein bars/powders, vitamins, cleaning products, snacks…the list goes on. You just got to check it out yourself. (for some reason, this link above is blocked, you can search them out on google as “iherb.com” and it should take you there, sorry for the inconvenience. I’ve appealed this block, but haven’t heard back yet).
- Larada.org – This is a Swiss-based vegan online store. The guys who run it are pretty cool. It’s in German, but if you send them an email, one of the guys (Rafael I think) speaks English and is always happy to help you out. You can get vegan cheese, cold-cuts, mayo, etc. Pretty much a vegan version of whatever you want.
- Vegusto – Another Swiss-based online store. I haven’t tried this one yet. Let me know if you do.
- Futur Naturprodukte – This place is the only place I can order fresh Tempeh from. I haven’t found it anywhere else. They also sell tofu, veggie burgers and seitan.
Stores in Lausanne
- Magbio – Route de Neuchâtel 2, 1032 Romanel – This is my favorite local store. They are a “Bio” store, so you can get a lot of vegan stuff here. We get our alternative milks, tofu, produce, grains and nuts from here. You can get ready made seitan and tempeh, both in a jar. I prefer to make my own seitan and buy fresh tempeh.
- La Biotique – avenue de Montchoisi 3, 1006 Lausanne – Pretty small but conveniently in town
Topinambour – avenue William-Fraisse 9, 1006 Lausanne – You can find all sorts of nut oils, brewer’s yeast and other bioproducts.
Well, there you have it. Have any other suggestions? Leave a comment or email me and I’ll add to this page.